Friday, January 3, 2014

Tutorial: Scrappy vinyl pouches

If you never worked with vinyl I suggest you check this tut for tips and tricks. That is where I started as well.


Start with picking up zippers and fabric scraps (strips). The strips I used are 8-10cm wide. As you can see I prefer to leave a room for trimming so I make my strips longer than the zipper. Use smaller strip (16x8cm) to create handle.

Option one: Simply iron the fabric in half then fold and iron the edges toward the center. Or fold the edges only 1/2 inch toward the center. Depends on the size of your scrap. Place on top of your zipper. Sew in place by topstitching. I usually do two lines.
Option two: Place the zipper between two stripes of fabric. Right sides facing each other. Sew. Fold over. Press. Toptstich. The usual way of attaching zipper. Press the edges toward center as well.


Insert piece of vinyl (mine is 13cm wide) in between two layers of fabrics. Sew in place. I use zipper foot.


Also topstich your handle You can alter with ribbon. Your piece should look like on the pic above. Zipper attached to a piece of vinyl. Time for the scotch tape magic.


I used my zipper foot to make the entire pouch. So I only put the tape on that one. Plus two pieces on the machine just to play it safe.


Place larger piece (mine is 19cm wide) of vinyl on top of your zipper. See the pin. Sew in place (red mark). Fold over and toptstich.


Time to trim. Line up your zipper with the grid on your cutting mat (red arrow). Check the bottom line and trim if needed.


Trim the sides to fit the zipper. Do not cut the zipper ends. You might need to open up the zipper for trimming the left side. You should end up with perfect rectangle. Smaller piece of vinyl at the bottom. Larger on top.


Sew the handle in place where the zipper starts. To prevent opening I run few hand stitches to keep the pieces together first.


Keep the zipper OPEN!! Don't forget this step! Fold the larger piece of vinyl over the top of zipper. In other words the right side should be inside. No need to use pins as the vinyl will stick together. Sew the three sides together. I usually start at the top where the end of zipper is so the side with handle is the last one I sew on. As I said I use zipper foot for this job as well.


Trim the corners. Little bit at the top and little bit more at the bottom. Turn right side out. Carefully push the corners out and you are done!


Try different sizes, colors. Width. Or make them all the same. Up to you.


First I wanted to hang the pouches on hooks but I didn't like the look so I placed baby snap button on back side of the handle. That way it is wrapped around and it looks much better but I can still hang it anywhere else.


Have fun! If you have any questions let me know.

38 comments:

  1. I like it very much,will defnitly try it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great tutorial Vera - I need to give it a try - I love your fun colourful pouches :) Consider yourself PINNED ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been waiting and hopeing for this thank you Vera....

    ReplyDelete
  4. going to try it... (btw, zippers are 8-10 cm LONG not wide :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your photos and easy to follow tutorial, Vera! Thanks for sharing! Those pouches are super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks so much for the tutorial! I'm going to give this a go... and I've pinned it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is an awesome tutorial, Vera! I have the vinyl, and will be trying one of these pouches soon! Thank you so much for sharing this pattern with us!
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have pinned it so I can make few. I love these pouches. Thank you so much writing the tutorial.

    Have a great Sunday, Vera!
    -Soma :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can see these became a little addictive for you :-) With all those beautiful colours lined up so nicely I can see why!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic tutorial Vera! I definitely need to make some for my sewing space!
    I love being able to see everything i have, and this is the perfect way to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sensacional!!!
    Muito obrigada pela sua generosidade e capricho.
    Um grande abraço!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is wonderful, what size needle do you use on the vinyl?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful. I would have never thought of using them like this. I'll be copying your for my sewing room. Thanks so much for the tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look amazing! Love the rainbow of colours. I will pin this for later :) sherri | Thread Riding Hood

    ReplyDelete
  15. I didn't quite get why the scotch tape was used. Can you explain please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I checked the link for sewing on Vinyl and found my answer. Thank you for replying too.

      Delete
  16. What is the length of the vinyl? You only have the width of the vinyl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That depends on the size of the zipper you are going to use. I cut accordingly to the zipper and don't even measure it.

      Delete
  17. That's a very nice idee.
    Thank you for your tutorial.
    Greetings from germany
    Angela Sewrella

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome tutorial! It's my favorite version of vinyl pouches (the easiest one, and the best to show off our pretty scraps). Now I need them in all rainbow colors...
    My version here: http://perleslune.blogspot.fr/2014/07/vinyl-je-t.html

    Your tutorial on upgrading the handle with a hook and D-ring looks great too, I have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this tutorial and its end result. However, I don't understand what the scotch tape is for? I realize that everyone else seems to know this. Please explain. Sorry for what probably is an obvious answer. Thanks so much

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lui. Vinyl usually sticks to plastic surfaces and others so the scotch tape helps to prevent such sticking. It makes it easier to maneuver with it.

      Delete
  21. These will be great for traveling!!!! Thanks for the tutorial!! Will have to add these to my growing "to sew" list :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. this should be on your tutorials page! It's fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  23. VERA- Thank you so much for the instructions to make my first vinyl tote. It came out fabulous! I really dislike written instructions, so the pics were quite helpful. What I did different was to put fabric on both sides of the zipper. And my best piece of advice is to toss it into the dryer for a watched minute or two, then turn the plastic right side out! So Easy! Now, on to make more with my personal touches. Thank you again, Vera!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also works with a shot of heat from a hairdryer.

      Delete
  24. Vera, Thanks for the tutorial can't wait to get started on it its going to be a great way to use up my scraps and I have tons of vinyl ready to be used I think they're going to make a great Christmas gift and stocking stuffers can't wait to get started and it's so easy to understand

    ReplyDelete
  25. Vera, Thanks for the tutorial can't wait to get started on it its going to be a great way to use up my scraps and I have tons of vinyl ready to be used I think they're going to make a great Christmas gift and stocking stuffers can't wait to get started and it's so easy to understand

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Vera. How and when do you recommend sewing on the handle? When the bag is inside out and you are stitching up the sides? Or after you have flipped the bag, right side out and maybe leave an opening in the side seam( that won't really look very "finished" though)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. Check the pics ;) I added the handle before sewing the bag together. Right after triming the whole thing. It's when the bag is inside out and prior the side stitching. I hope that helped ;)

      Delete
  27. I just made one and will not be making more. Yes, they are super cute,and very useful. However, I couldn't really see the vinyl to cut it and sew it, the vinyl sticks when you don't want it to and doesn't stick when you do want it to, it took a very long time to turn it right side out (because of the sticking thing), and the corners didn't want to turn completely. Much more frustration than it was worth 😞

    ReplyDelete
  28. I just made one and will not be making more. Yes, they are super cute,and very useful. However, I couldn't really see the vinyl to cut it and sew it, the vinyl sticks when you don't want it to and doesn't stick when you do want it to, it took a very long time to turn it right side out (because of the sticking thing), and the corners didn't want to turn completely. Much more frustration than it was worth 😞

    ReplyDelete
  29. Very nice,I was looking for something like this. I am going to try to make some.
    Thanks ��

    ReplyDelete
  30. I can't wait to make these! They are so cute! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are the spice of blogging. I love them all. Thanks for stopping by.